Government Grants

Government Grants

by Dave Swan

In addition to the First Home Owner Grant,  both Federal and State governments have introduced generous building grants designed to stimulate the residential construction industry and it’s not just First Home Owners who can benefit. The information below is intended for WA applicants.

First Home Owner Grant

The first home owner grant (FHOG) is a one-off payment to encourage and assist first home buyers to buy or build a residential property for use as their principal place of residence. The grant is $10,000 or the consideration paid to buy or build the house if less than that amount. Only one grant is payable per eligible transaction, so two people purchasing a house together may only receive one grant.

First Time Buyers Government GrantIf you’re located south of the 26th parallel, which basically covers all the Perth metropolitan area, you can claim the FHOG WA if your new home is worth up to $750,000 – this includes the value of the land plus buildings.

If you buy or build a home north of the 26th parallel, the property must be valued up to or below $1 million to be eligible for the FHOG WA.

The First Home Owner Grant in Western Australis is no longer available if you buy an established home however you may be able to claim stamp duty savings

For more information:

If you are a first time buyer, talk to us today on (08) 9433 4841 or contact us


Home Buyers Assistance Account

A grant from the Home Buyers Assistance Account reimburses some of the incidental expenses incurred in connection with the purchase of a first home in Western Australia, provided the applicants meet all criteria. Eligible applicants receive a grant of up to $2,000.

The grant can be used to reimburse some incidental expenses including mortgage registration fees, solicitor and/or conveyancing fees, valuation fees, inspection fees, establishment fees, mortgage insurance premiums and lending institution fees associated with the purchase of your first home.

To be eligible for the Home Buyers Assistance Account in WA, you need to pay $400,000 or under for your first home, and the property must be purchased through a licensed real estate agent operating in Western Australia.

The Home Buyers Assistance Account is only available if your first home is built or partly built when you agree to buy it, not a plan to build a home.

For more information:

If you are a first time buyer, talk to us today on (08) 9433 4841 or contact us


First Home Loan Deposit Scheme (FHLDS)

The First Home Loan Deposit Scheme is an Australian Government initiative to support eligible first home buyers purchase their first home sooner.

Usually first home buyers with less than a 20 per cent deposit need to pay lenders mortgage insurance. Under the Scheme, eligible first home buyers can purchase a modest home with a deposit with as little as 5 per cent (lenders criteria also apply). This is because NHFIC guarantees to a participating lender up to 15 percent of the value of the property purchased that is financed by an eligible first home buyer’s home loan.

There are currently 27 participating lenders across Australia offering places under the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme.

Scheme places

First Home Loan Deposit Scheme places for the 2019-20 financial year have now been reserved.

Another 10,000 Scheme places will be available from 1 July 2020.

NHFIC released 10,000 Scheme places for the 2019-20 financial year from 1 January 2020. 5,000 Scheme places were made available to the major banks – CBA and NAB. The remaining 5,000 Scheme places were offered through 25 non-major lenders.

For more information:

If you are a first time buyer, talk to us today on (08) 9433 4841 or contact us